DATE: Friday, March 16, 2018
TIME: 12 noon to 2:30 p.m.
VENUE: Research Innovation Space in Education (RISE), University Of Alberta, Education North, Room 2-111
FILM: We Were Children (1h 28m) Directed by Tim Wolochatiuk
THEME: Reconciling the Truth
COST: The event is free to the public. Participants are welcome to bring your own lunch. Light refreshments will be provided.
PROGRAM: Film screening and interactive discussions with academic & community panel.
GUESTS: Miranda Jimmy, Reconciliation in Solidarity Edmonton (RiSE) and Dr. Evelyn Steinhauer, U of A, Educational Policy Studies
FACILITATORS: Shawn Tse (MC), Filmmaker & Coordinator with the Canadian Multicultural Education Foundation, Dr. Anna Kirova, Professor, Department of Elementary Education and Co-Director Centre for Global Citizenship Education and Research (CGCER), and Dr. Sophie Yohani, Associate Professor in Counselling Psychology, Department of Educational Psychology.
Film Series Purpose:
- Use films to inspire dialogue and understanding of participants around cross-cultural issues affecting our local communities and schools.
- Deepen the cross-cultural knowledge of student teachers who will encounter students from diverse cultural, linguistic, ethnic and religious backgrounds in their daily lives as teachers.
- Compliment Education students’ cross-cultural learning through dialogue with guest speakers from the multicultural and arts communities.
This is a joint program between the Canadian Multicultural Education Foundation and the Faculty of Education at the University of Alberta/ Centre for Global Citizenship Education and Research (CGCER).
Other Winter Film Series Events: Mark your calendar:
- March 16 – Reconciling the Truth
- April 20 – Immigrants: We get the job done